I am a triathlete!
I will admit, I was not quite ready for this triathlon and had not trained nearly enough. Because I'm not very athletic anyway, for me it is a big deal just to get out there and try. Plus, I had invested in the outfit, so I wasn't about to back out!
I'll spare you the play-by-play, but suffice it to say I had a hard time. I signed up with my friend Lindsey, but we separated at the swim. I thought I would catch her on the bike but I never did. I was on my own and I was lonely. I didn't ever find myself in a rhythm with anyone else, and no music on the course. I had a long time to curl up with my own thoughts. There was a big hill in the first of the course that we rode up twice on the bike and then had to run. I'll be honest- that hill kicked my butt. Coming around the second loop, I briefly considered crying when I was on my way to the hill. I finished the bike wanting to feel great, but instead dreaded the run up the hill. As I was leaving the transition area, Craig called to me asking if I was ok and I could barely answer. Then my dad was there with a high five and words of advice , "Mental toughness! You can do this! This is nothing compared to a marathon!"
I started to run, and then walked, then ran. And then I met the hill for the third time. My dad would challenge me to charge the hill and this time I didn't have the heart. I was feeling a little discouraged and slow. My body was tired, but it was my head that was holding me back. From my experience with the marathon, I knew this was a mental game, and I wasn't in it. As I trudged up the hill I started thinking about whether I was mentally tough enough to do this, and that if I finished I would be a triathlete, just like I am a marathoner. And then I suddenly got it- it was all about me. And only me! It wasn't about my husband, or my kids, or my friend. It wasn't about whether I was good enough, or spiritual enough, or smart enough, or skinny enough, or fast enough. It wasn't about my work, or my house, or my to-do list, or mistakes I have made. It was just me and the run, and the only question was whether I was going to do it or not. And I got to decide. I could do it and nobody else could do it for me. I could give up if I wanted to. So I started to run, and I felt great. And then I loved it!
I met up with Heather on the run which was an unexpected boost. She was happy and totally inspirational. And she probably thought I was a little crazy because I was well into my self-coaching when I saw her, but that is ok. Because this time, it really is all about me. And I rock.
Now, click over to Heather's post for her story of inspiration and a very entertaining recap of the triathlon.
Pictures of the hot outfit to come.
6 comments:
wow. congratulations! i am seriously impressed. if i tried a triathalon, it wouldn't be about mental toughness. it would be about removing my corpse before the coyotes started picking at me.
way to go girl!
Good job Kimberly!!!
That is a huge accomplishment and you should be very very proud. Wish I could've done it with you guys :)
I had no idea you were struggling--but I do remember you sprinted down the hill and left me in the dust-you rockstar!!
So are we going to do it next year?
And when are we going out to lunch?!
I hope you're wearing the outfit around the house just to remind yourself of how awesome you are.
YOU ROCK!!!
Seriously, even though I already heard the story from you last week, you didn't mention the emotional details. You're an inspiration.
Cool story, cool girl!
Post a Comment