4.21.2008

A New Low

So this past week, I have had trouble coming up with blog-ideas. It seemed that before I started a blog, I had lots of funny stories and profound thoughts to share over my blog. So I start a blog, and .... nothing.

Then this past weekend, I had ideas! Lots of ideas! On Friday, I got to visit with my old friend Amy, whom I never (and I mean never) get to see. It was a last minute random chance event, and it was SO fun. So when Jack, Sam, and her daughter, Tessa, were racing down the neighbor's driveway on little plasma cars, laughing their guts out, I thought- this is perfect! I'll blog about it! Alas, no camera. Amy took a few pictures, but I won't hold my breath to see them (you know I love you, Amy!). We then took our 6 combined kids (4 are hers, 3 are triplets!) to Carl's Jr. with a playground for lunch and sat and chatted for hours. It was great.

On Saturday, Craig ran the SL Marathon and my dad ran the half-marathon, which generated new blog-ideas. I even took pictures.
(I could have posted a picture of Craig running, but wanted to prove I have a second son)

Saturday night we went to a birthday party for one of Jack's friends, and Sam tried to bring his girlfriend home with us. Definitely blog worthy. I also went to a late dinner with my friend Heather, who told me hilarious stories that should be published but I couldn't do justice in retelling them.

Yesterday was my brother, Phillip's (he prefers Phil) family birthday dinner. Since I am new to blogging, I realized that I should have done a b-day shout-out to my bro. Another blog-idea.
(Sam's outfit is for another post!)

Then before I had the chance to write any one of these fantastic post, I experienced a new low. And it was low. Those of you that know the real life me know that I have children who wander. Well, tonight, Jack convinced me that he needed to go to Wal-Mart to replace two favors from the birthday party that had already broken. Normally I would tell him tough luck, but since Sam broke one of them and Jack cried and cried, I agreed to replace them. The birthday boy told Jack that the favors came from Wal-Mart. So after dinner, there we are, in my most hated place on earth. The Dreaded Wal-Mart, or alternatively, Wal-Mart-He**, I call it. And the Wal-Mart by our house isn't even a nice Super Wal-Mart- it is old and yucky.

We are in the toy aisle, which is next to the bike rack. Jack and I are scouring the aisles for the replacement toys, while Sam is looking at the bikes. I think Craig is with Sam. Craig then joins us in the toy aisle, where we discuss the fact that the replacement toys are no where to be found. I ask him where Sam is. I don't know, he says. He walks back to the bikes, no Sam. He looks in the aisles around the bikes, no Sam. I thought he was with you! I cry, as I frantically start looking up and down the aisles, hollering Sam's name. Unfortunately, my running around like a crazy woman screaming Sam's name is not new to me. Thankfully, I have no shame. Craig has headed the other direction looking for Sam. I am running now, wondering if I should find a sales person to have the store locked down, and thinking that I will run into someone to help me as I am yelling my son's name.

And then I hear it... Attention, Wal-Mart shoppers, we have a lost little boy. He is about 2 years old, with longish brown hair. He is wearing a blue Champion shirt. Please come to customer service. SAM! Craig claims him, and asks where they found him. By the bikes, they say. My little wanderer didn't even wander off, he was just picked up! Fortunately it was by a diligent Wal-Mart worker and not a psychopath. This does not actually make me feel better.

And there it is, my new low. I lost my kid in Wal-Mart and they announced him as a lost child over the intercom system. I'm getting better at this blogging thing though- while I didn't think to take a picture of him at Wal-Mart, I did when we got him home. Here he is, oblivious to his narrow escape.


I didn't even get to purchase a copy of Juno with the special music CD extra. I just wanted to get out of there.

[On the blog-learning curve, please note the pictures in the posts. Someone please help me rotate them. Next, hyperlinks, courtesy of Shannan.]

6 comments:

alisa and sometimes brandon said...

Before I can respond in full to your stories, you have to rotate your pictures in your photo program (photoshop, iPhoto, HP photo whatever) BEFORE uploading them to blogger. You should download Picasa (Google app) to organize your photos for blogging. It's a snap to upload to blogger from Picasa. If I have time tomorrow I'll send you links/instructions. For now, I'm glad you found Sam!!!

Unknown said...

I have boys who have been known to wander too!! I can completely relate.Maybe it is the male gene or something.
are you going to blogapalooza? do you live in utah?

Cassidy said...

Maybe you need one of those kid harnesses =)

Anonymous said...

If you had a Mac, rotating pics would be a snap.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and glad that a kind, thoughtful Wal-Mart worker discovered Sam before the psycho kidnapper. I, too, know of your pain.

Paige said...

I lost a kid in WalMart once and it was the WORST. I wanted to die and lock down the store too, because you know people who go to WalMart should expect their kid to get kidnapped! I was running around screaming, and abandoned my 3 other children to look for her. Oh yeah, Sol was in charge. Turns out CC was just hiding. Bad, bad girl.

Picasa will automatically rotate your pics. You need to click on the pic in Picasa and go to File and then Save so it will stay like that.